The programme aims to develop managers’ understanding and critical appreciation of the theories, tools, and techniques of management to enable them to more effectively lead and manage change in organisations and make effective use of resources in the strategic decision-making process. In so doing, it seeks to improve the quality of management as a profession. In particular, the purpose of the programme is to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of the management of organisations and the changing external context in which they operate.
- Opportunities for the systematic development of the skills of objective analysis, evaluation, and presentation to enable them to further develop confidence in effectively appraising and implementing management strategies.
- An ability to apply knowledge and understanding of business and management to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, and to improve business and management practice.
This programme provides opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate an understanding of:
- The role and function of organisations and the context in which they operate, including the key drivers of change.
- The core disciplines of business and management including finance, human resource management, marketing, and strategic planning at middle/senior management level.
- The range of research methods that can be applied to the study of business management and leadership.
- The application of strategic thinking to the successful management of organisations including a critical understanding of the processes of strategic problem solving and decision making.
All in a stimulating academic environment, rooted in the experiences of the student, but firmly based on the values of academic openness and critical appraisal.