The MBA has been shaped to form what the programme team believes to be a unique curriculum. It allows students to:
- Gain a UK Higher Education Institution accredited MBA.
- Study in their own time (in whatever time-zone in which they live).
- Study at their own pace (within the current period of University of Cumbria regulations for part-time study).
- Attend a residential event in the heart of the English Lake District, with opportunities for further travel in the UK if desired.
- Continue to live in their own country/location without disrupting family life.
- Continue to pursue their existing career without a break.
The MBA Energy and Sustainability programme aims to develop an understanding and critical appreciation of the theories, tools and techniques of leadership and management that will enable graduates to more effectively participate in leading organisational change. In doing so, the programme seeks to improve the quality of management as a profession. In particular, the overarching purpose is, in the context of the specific award, to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of the management of organisations and the changing external context in which they operate;
- Opportunities for the systematic development of the skills of objective analysis, evaluation, and presentation to enable students to develop confidence in effectively appraising and implementing management strategies;
- An ability to apply knowledge and understanding of business and management to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, and to have a critical understanding of how business and management practice may be improved;
- A stimulating academic environment which is based upon the values of academic openness and critical appraisal.
The programme consists of the standard 180 Level-7 credits that constitute an NQF (UK National Qualifications Framework) Masters award, the content being informed by QAA (UK Quality Assurance Agency) benchmark statements for Business and Management programmes. 60 credits of the programme are provided by a dissertation.