The overall aim of the MBA Media Leadership programme is to provide you with the opportunity to engage in a Higher Education experience using a flexible and distributed learning approach that will enhance your ability to develop and lead a sustainability agenda that focuses on change in the media sector. In particular this award will:
- Equip you with the knowledge and understanding required to analyse, direct and develop business operations in the modern environment of information-based media involving journalism, marketing and public relations. It critically explores key issues and forces shaping the development of digital media in a global context, particularly convergence of activities, interactivity with audiences and entrepreneurship.
- Enable you to develop your leadership practice, through critical engagement with contemporary discourses in leadership, sustainability and the social responsibility of organisations in the media sectorDevelop relevant management and organisation knowledge, both academic and professional, in line with postgraduate standards/benchmarks.
- Develop critical reflection skills and engagement with organisation and professional theory to understand, and where appropriate, challenge existing individual and organisational perspectives and practices.
- Develop, and where appropriate, apply new knowledge to add value by enhancing organisational capability.
- Develop understanding of the organisation’s strategic focus and environment and the impact of the inter-relationship between resources, customers, clients in a changing context.
- Develop further commitment to continuous personal and professional development, independence and reflective learning.
This programme provides opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate:
Knowledge and Understanding
- The role and function of organisations and the context in which they operate, including the key drivers of change.
- The core disciplines of business and management including finance, human resource management, marketing and strategic planning at middle/senior management level.
- The range of research methods that can be applied to the study of business management and leadership.
- The application of strategic thinking to the successful management of organisations including a critical understanding of the processes of strategic problem-solving and decision-making.
- Practical and theoretical understanding in the field of management, media and leadership.
- Leadership and critical analysis skills.
- Advanced analytical skills: Applied learning acquired to the extensive use of case-study analysis.
Qualities, Skills and Other Attributes
- Critical thinking and critical appraisal used for problem solving applied to complex issues in business and management.
- Interpreting and abstracting meaning from a variety of sources .
- Exercising judgement and understanding in relation to various issues and practice.
- Engage in information retrieval, organisation and effective dissemination, including presentation skills.
- Effective performance within a team environment and the ability to recognise and utilise individuals’ contributions in group processes; team selection, delegation, development and management.
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct independently managed research into international business issues.
- Numeracy and quantitative skills including effective use of ICT.
- Two-way communication skills, e.g. negotiation and persuasion.
- Personal effectiveness: self-awareness and self-management; time management; sensitivity to diversity in people and different situations; the ability to continue learning.
- Numeracy and quantitative skills including the use of models of business situations; qualitative research skills.