York St John University
York St John is a prestigious civic university with roots going back to the 1840ís. York Diocesan Training School, for teacher education, opened in May 1841 with one pupil on the register, 16-year-old Edward Preston Cordukes. (The current Studentsí Union building is named in his honour). 1846 saw the foundation of the Female Training School which moved to Ripon in Yorkshire in 1862. The college in York was described as St Johnís College from the late 1890s.
By 1904 St Johnís was the largest Diocesan college in the country with 112 students (today it has almost 6,000 students).
After rapid development of its subject base and student numbers both institutions merged in 1974 to become the College of Ripon & York St John. The University has also had a long and productive relationship with the University of Leeds dating back to 1920. In 1999 the Collegeís Board of Governors decided to relocate all taught courses to the York campus, and by the end of 2001 all students and staff had transferred across to York and a new name was chosen: York St John.
In September 2005 York St John was officially granted taught degree awarding powers. Following this, it received approval from the Privy Council of the United Kingdom to become a University and adopted the full title of York St John University on the 1st October 2006. This was followed by the installation of its first Chancellor, Archbishop Sentamu, in March 2007.
Today the University is based on an award-winning campus in the centre of the ancient city of York with its 6,000 students studying a very broad range of subjects. It has a highly recognised reputation for its teaching and learning, and a wide network of regional, national and international partnerships which now includes Robert Kennedy College.
More information is available at the York St John University website http://www.yorksj.ac.uk