The programme aims to develop in graduates an understanding and critical appreciation of the theories, tools and techniques of management to enable them to more effectively participate in managing organisations. In so doing, it seeks to improve the quality of management as a profession. In particular, the purpose of the programme is to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of the management of organisations and the changing external context in which they operate.
- Opportunities for the systematic development of the skills which enable participation in the effective appraisal and implementation of management strategies.
- An ability to apply knowledge and critical understanding of business and management to complex issues.
- A stimulating academic environment which is based upon the values of academic openness and critical appraisal and which will provide a foundation for life-long reflective development.
- A sound basis for entry into management roles in a range of institutional types and economic sectors.
This programme provides opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate an understanding of:
- The role and function of organisations and the context in which they operate, including the key drivers of change.
- The core disciplines of business and management including finance, human resource management, marketing and strategic planning at middle/senior management level.
- The range of research methods that can be applied to the study of business management and leadership.
- The application of strategic thinking to the successful management of organisations including a critical understanding of the processes of strategic problem solving and decision making.